Accelerate development and commercialization of efficient heating, cooling, and energy distribution solutions through stakeholder engagement, innovation, R&D, education and outreach.
The Western Cooling Efficiency Center was established along side the UC Davis Energy Efficiency Center in 2007 through a grant from the California Clean Energy Fund and in partnership with California Energy Commission Public Interest Energy Research Program. The Center partners with industry stakeholders to stimulate the development of cooling technologies that can reduce energy demand, and water consumption in buildings.
The Center engages in primary research, innovation, laboratory testing, field demonstrations, education, outreach, and advocacy related to climate appropriate cooling
The WCEC is guided by a 12 person Steering Committee that meets three times annually. Steering Committee members currently represent the major California electric utilities, the California Energy Commission, the UC Davis Energy Efficiency Center, the U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, major retailers, and the New Buildings Institute.
The WCEC will accomplish its mission and goals through activities that:
- Confront Market Barriers; we will develop strategies to overcome market impediments for energy-saving cooling systems
- Guide Research and Development: we will identify and support technology development projects that can cost-effectively reduce cooling system energy use and peak demand in California within a market-oriented context.
- Support Full-Scale Demonstration Projects: we will encourage, organize, and monitor “high impact” emerging cooling technology demonstrations, and publicize results.
- Provide Business Support: by working with the UC Davis Graduate School of Management, we will support product and business plan development, and entrepreneurial firms committed to producing and marketing emerging cooling technologies.
- Conduct Outreach Activities: we will catalog available energy-efficient cooling systems, create a Cooling Center website, and conduct educational activities that support the WCEC Mission.
- Develop Example Facilities: we will design WCEC offices that function as a working laboratory and allow partners and affiliates to display and demonstrate emerging cooling technologies.